Wednesday 23 February 2011

Bus/Eb Update

Well my trap now adorns home made chocolate cookie as an incentive for my small furry rodent friends to kick the trigger, but as yet no victims ...

In the meantime I've been spending more and more time thinking about the work needed on the bus.  I had a real good look around the other day and there is no two ways about it ... the front is fubar'd!  I actually got a price from Volksheaven for a new front end a couple of months back, and I'm looking at £300-£400.  Thats actually not a bad price when you start to think the front panel is £100, the A posts £85, plus delivery, plus time to fit etc.  At least with a new front end its made of VW's finest sheet, and should (in theory) be a fairly good match to what I chop off.

And so with that in mind I have a weekly schedule devised which should see the back end and rear corners repaired over forthcoming weeks in preparation for the roof to be chopped off over the bank holiday weekend!

I've also been looking at paint options.  It kills me having the bus outside being rained on all the time (especially at the moment) and I really don't want today's freshly welded metal becoming tomorrows bird bath.  As I'm trying to keep prices sensible with the build, and after some research and a post on www.retro-rides.org, I am going to buy a Bosch electric spray gun and see what results it has to offer.  Argos have them on offer at the moment for just under £50 and so I'm gonna gamble on one and see what results it has to offer.

It hasn't been 'all bus' though, and today I spoke to Pete Roberts regarding the engine for Eb.  Thankfully he still has a box on engine parts for me, and after the VolksWorld show we're gonna sort out getting my spare pair of heads sold.  That will be more money to put back into Eb, I'm hoping the bus won't need to swallow those pennies!

In fact I have a plan to raise cash for the bus, and the starting point is from selling the Design 90 wheels Eb currently rolls around on.  That money will go towards funding the new front end.  In the meantime another payday will pass and that will see the n/s battery tray and rear valance purchased.  Once they arrive the weldathon can begin!  If i remove the Design 90's Eb will need to roll around on the Budniks, and I will need the suspension back together .... so I am working hard to get the rear suspension cleaned and POR15'd so I can justify going down to Essex to collect the wheels. 

As I finish typing this there are suspension parts hanging and drying in the barn, hopefully to be painted tomorrow ... if the 14 degree sunshine we are promised arrives!

No comments:

Post a Comment