Monday 7 February 2011

Barn/Bus/Eb Update!

Well, that time I had hoped to get on the bus just hasn't materialised.  The weather hasn't been great, and so I've been forced to do most work indoors as opposed to out.

On the plus side, that has meant I've had good chance to work in the barn, and with priority 101 being to get the loft area boarded out the bad weather has almost been timely.  I have 7 loft boards down, and will need to purchase more next month to keep going.  It is slowly being cleared out though, and very soon I can remove the insulating boards that currently affix to the bottom of the rafters which will reveal a fantastic shelf/storage/mezzanine/loft area.  I must take some photos soon.  I won't of the dead rats that I'm uncovering from under the loft insulation though! Nasty! 

Many weeks ago I told Bill of my plan to get a weekend on Eb every month, to try and keep the build process moving along.  We made a date of the 5th Feb, knowing that it wouldn't take us long and it would be a nice way to get things started!  I only wanted to get the bug up, and the front and rear suspension stripped. So, on Friday I tried to think of everything I might possibly need and packed up Tasha's car.  An early departure meant I was in Chelmsford by 9:30am and we were all done and finished within a couple of hours. A great mojo boost, and now I have a whole collection of steering and suspension parts to clean/paint.  This is exactly how I want the build process to go - for me to be able to take something away with me to keep working on whilst I am away from the car.

Here's the bug with the front end up.

The beam removed.  You can see where the shock towers were removed, and why I want to strip it back and re-coat it.  I didn't build this beam, and I wouldn't build it like this.  There is no top shock mount provision, I had to get Chris Isaacs to sort that when he did the cage work.  This is now on the inner wing instead of the beam.  I have thought about changing things recently, but having checked the way Chris has done things (and strengthened everything) I'm going to stick with this beam and the shock mounting provision that is in place.


And finally a shot with the rear suspension all removed.


Feeling super enthusiastic I went hunting for my gauges which I realised recently were not in their box ... the box that I though they were in!  This worried me - they were a 21st birthday present to me - which means that in 3 weeks time I will have owned them for 10 years!  Thankfully they were in the loft in a box I didn't even know I had.  I was happy!  I found a load of other parts I forgot about too - I must dig them out and document them all at some point.

I now need to find some money to buy a load of consumables from Frost!

No comments:

Post a Comment